Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Some days are just better than others.

My face looks something like this     :)))))))))))) ~!!!!!!***

Oh, but please don't worry. My happiness is generally kept in check by a healthy dose of cynicism and the mounting realities of being an adult. Today was just one of those better off days.


To set the scene, I was driving to school expecting an equally fart-tacular day as yesterday. I wasn't hungover like yesterday but was incredibly sleepy and not thrilled about my busy work line-up. The typhoon clouds finally started breaking, though, and the drive was just a little too beautiful for me to stay crabby. The sunlight was positively dancing over the moutains as it broke through heavy clouds. A crane soared over the rice fields and took a huge stringy dump as it passed in front of my car. It was somehow more poetic than observing the same scene with a non-shitting crane. That's when I started feelin' kinda groovy.

When I got to school, I got this card from one of my 6th graders.
 **(Yes, the image is inverted. If you cross your eyes, you will be able to read the secret birthday message! I did this for your pleasure. Don't mention it.) 



So last week we were studying birthday stuff and I gave the kids these cards to decorate in their own free time. Today aforementioned boy gave his card back to me with a message inside which, when translated, reads something like this;

________________________________________________

Dear Sarah Teacher,

Happy birthday!                  (<-- Totally not my birthday, little dude. But I love that you thought you
                                                                                                              remembered. ^_^)

Thank you for giving me English instruction that I can easily understand. I'm studying English and the reason I can understand so much is thanks to you. Thank you for giving me the understandable English.

___________________________________________



I know that I'm a good teacher, but a sentiment like that from any student, let alone an elementary schooler, was really quite unexpected. It made me feel great. It made me remember that it's easy to forget that people are saying and thinking good things about us that they may only rarely express to our faces.


So then I came home, and decided to keep rollin' with the beats that were jim-jammin' away in my brain box. They were telling me to finish this painting. So I did.      **(see figure Deltron Zero)


    *******   (Deltron Zero)    ******************************************************
                                                                                                 **********************************

Not the best picture.
But I'm pretty happy with the painting.

Anyway I hope you've had a good one, too.
Bis später, alligator.

No comments:

Post a Comment