Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A Leap of Faith

Becoming a ranger was something that I dreamt of since childhood. As an adult, I would tell people that it was what I envisioned for myself eventually. The line kept coming out of my mouth, even after I stopped believing it. I had been applying for park jobs for nearly five years and nothing ever came of it. Nothing. No call. No interview. Ever.

And then a call did come.
Unexpectedly and with poor timing.
But I went. And here's what I'm proud of;

* Buying a new (used) car after crashing into a deer.
* Creating two of my own park programs.
* Helping to run the astronomy program.
* Learning the science of the caves, ancient trees, and night skies.
* Receiving an absurd amount of comment cards, being gifted Japanese treats with a touching note, and being invited to Austria for a glass of wine.
* Hiking every trail in the park.
* Finding one small flower (still in bloom) that exists on only one mountain in the world.
* Killing all the mice that got into the house. Every. Single. One.
* Making great friends.
* Creating art that I love.
* Translating the park brochure into Japanese.
* Having my video of a silver-haired bat posted on the park's Facebook page.
* Taking care of a ranch.
* Learning to take a risk and trust that I would land on my feet.




























Before I decided to go, I was terrified. I had resolved to work for money, and I was content enough. I had a good office, good benefits, good co-workers. Starting as a temp employee, I worked my way up to get hired on full-time and had just received my first ever promotion.


Walking away from what I had made for myself to take a seasonal position seemed like insanity.

Now I can see clearly that it was the only decision that made any sense. Life is short.



******************************************************************


(I wrote only one journal entry at the park, and have decided to share it...)

10/21

Well I'm here. And here I've been.
I'll while away by these trees a little longer then be gone.
I haven't written because I've been wrapped up in magic thread.

The pungent sage echoes through the mist hanging low; the clouds funneling themselves to the earth across endless miles of sky. It's so quiet.



A deer stops in its tracks and looks dead into my eyes. 
I am what is waking in you, she says.
Y   e   s   ,
I answer
Soon she is bolting into a thicket of dusky amber, where I wish I could follow and my spirit would drink in the stillness until it was quenched. 

In this modern world I am always thirsty. 
But we all must get along, mustn't we?



The ground stirs; it too is awake.
From my feet, to my knees, to the chakras in my temples. I can feel them near.
Hooves of wild horses are drumming across the valley. My heart answers.

...I'm here, I'm here, I'm here...
..........Pa-rum, pa-rum, pa-rum..........

Racing across canvas after canvas of jagged rock, their nostrils flare and sweat streaks across their coats. Manes shake and earth breaks under their thunder. I close my eyes.

I feel the heartbeat in the ground.
I'm here. I'm here.

..........Pa-rum, pa-rum, pa-rum..........

It rolls louder,  l o u d e r ,   l  o  u  d  e  r  .

Then it slowly f   a    d      e        s,
and all is still once more.

And soon I'll be gone, 
and we all will fade.
And I wish only for this wonderful stillness.


No comments:

Post a Comment