I included a shot of this guy in my last post, but he is now complete and I wanted to update some photos to show him off! He has been in the works for about 2 years. The process started with acquiring a box of deer bones from a hippie's basement, and then working on them for many months; scraping off tissue, removing bone marrow from sockets and crevices, and bathing them in peroxide baths to leech out fats and whiten them.
From there I reassembled the spinal column, constructed wings, and carved a head from wood. The tail was formed from a broken drummel flex shaft wrapped in wire, followed by feathers, and the beak from an old couch leg I found in an alley behind my old place. I ordered the eyes from a taxidermy website and used cribbage pegs for the decorative quills on the head.